Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fire and ice

Saturday, as I previously posted, was a fabulous day weather-wise. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the kids were on the ball field. And, while I put sunscreen on the kids, I neglected to put any on myself and paid the price for wearing a sleeveless shirt while sitting outside for four hours.

Last night, Keeper Boy had another baseball game. It had been overcast and spitting off an on all afternoon. But the field was open, so off we went. As the front came closer, the temperature dropped into the upper 40s. We endured two lightning delays before finally starting the game just before 7pm -- an hour late. (When lightning is sighted, they are required to wait 20 minutes. If no more lightning is sighted, play can resume. If more lightning is sighted, the 20-minute clock re-starts.)

I took refuge in the back corner of the dugout since I keep the score book and it's difficult to write in pencil on wet paper. As I sat there slowly turning into an icicle, I was keenly aware of the seams in my t-shirt (under a sweatshirt, a windbreaker, and a blanket) rubbing against my still somewhat tender (though no longer on fire) shoulders.

What a difference three days makes!

No comments: