Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stanley the Caterpillar

I am sad to report that Stanley has met his demise. He was picked up by the trash collectors on Monday as he waited patiently in the garbage bin with our discarded bits of food and Lord knows what else. Poor Stanley.

It seems that once the journal was turned in, J-Mav was not as interested in Stanley. Sure he sprayed him with water most mornings, but usually not unprompted. I think Stanley just lost his luster. As he continued to grow, despite (or in spite of) the lack of attention, his hair got kind of mangy and sad looking. Last weekend we asked J-Mav what he wanted to do with Stanley. He said "keep him forever." I explained that Stanley looked like he wasn't feeling too well, but that unlike the antibiotics J-Mav was taking, there was really nothing we could do for Stanley. He said, "OK. You can throw him away." Just like that.

Then I felt bad.

I asked J-Mav if he wanted to say anything to or about Stanley before I tossed him. He waved and said "Bye, Stanley" and then bounced off to play.

Wow... I shudder to think of the send off I'll get when it's my time! ;-)

No comments: