Thursday, February 4, 2010

Grrr...

And school is closed for tomorrow on the prediction of a buttload of snow.

I would laugh if it doesn't happen. I mean, it seems like a slam dunk that we're going to get at least a foot, so I suppose it's the right call, but why not send them and then dismiss early? I guess the thinking is that they'd rather not have all those busses and kids on the roads when the precipitation starts, but the worst is predicted to be tomorrow evening into the early hours of Saturday. Of course, when has a weather forecaster around here ever given an accurate forecast? We were only supposed to get a dusting to two inches for last weekend's six inch mess.

Logically, I know it's the right call. It's just annoying. This school district seems to close if someone sneezes. So even when it's warranted, I'm annoyed. The kids lost Presidents' Day from yesterday's closure (snow day #4). For tomorrow's closure (snow day #5), they lose a teacher work day on April 12. I'm not to torn up about that one. The elementary teachers in this school district get a half-day work day EVERY Monday afternoon, and one or two days at the end of every quarter. I'm not a teacher, but that seems like more time than a lot of teachers get.

Anything after tomorrow, we alternate between getting freebies that don't need to be made up snow days #6, 8, and 10) and tacking days onto the end of the year (snow days #7 and 9). If we get to snow day #9, the kids will be a week shy of going to school into July. Ridiculous.

Alright, I'm done complaining now. I'll be at work tomorrow waiting for the big event to occur. It's Hubby's turn to stay home with the kids...

No comments: