Thursday, February 11, 2010

SnOMG!! '10

THURSDAY, 2/11/10

10:55am: Still quite windy. Hubby blasted through the drifts on our yet unplowed street this morning and got the [rather low-sitting] Honda out to the somewhat bigger road and proceeded without trouble to work.

11:30am: I love my house, but staring at its inside walls for a week is slowing driving me insane. I told the kids I'm taking a break from work and we're going out to lunch. Keeper Boy says to me, "I'm staying here. I don't want to leave the house." WHAT? So I'm sure J-Mav won't want to go either. But. We're. Going.

12:00pm: Problem solved. Told J-Mav we'd go to Toys R Us while we're out. He's been itching to spend a gift card he has. He's on board 100% now. :) Very "sneakative" on my part...

4:10pm: Once Keeper Boy figured out we were going to Toys R Us, he wanted to go, too. Shocker. We went to Red Robin, Toys R Us, and Target. Ran into some co-workers at Target. Small world. Felt good to be out and about, but I think it's gonna be July until some of these piles of snow melt!

Our street... still no plow since the last batch of snow...

The street we turn onto off or our street, on which we can get out of the subdivision. Sort of plowed and packed down into an icy skating rink...

A bigger road that borders our subdivision. PAVEMENT!! The first I've seen in a week!!


5:05pm: I took some pictures of icicles today that are kinda cool... some of the icicles formed on an angle because of the wind yesterday.




7:10pm: OK, driving up to Subway (less than one mile and still within my subdivision) has put me in a worse mood than being cooped up in the house with my children all week! Here's is what I learned:

  • Our street is, literally, the only street in our subdivsion that hasn't been plowed.
  • They way the streets have been "plowed" in the subdivision, it may have been better to just them be... I think my kidneys are bruised from that drive.
  • People around here are stupid, moronic, impatient drivers under normal conditions; add 40 inches of snowfall in the last two weeks and they turn into complete a$$hats! Some advice from observation:

    • Do not drive down the middle of a road that is barely two lanes wide in your F150/Suburban/4x4 while I'm trying to drive on the same road, in the opposite direction, in a Honda Civic.
    • Do not slow down to 1 mph if you hope to keep moving on a street that has a build-up of loose snow... especially if I'm behind you.
    • Do not drive one car length behind me when I'm driving on a skating rink.
    • Do not pull into the middle of an intersection when you can clearly see you're going to be stuck there through a light cycle, thereby rendering the people on the cross street unable to move. Anywhere.
    • Do not honk your horn at me when you can clearly see that no one is moving in front of me, either.
    • If you're driving an 18-wheeler and trying to make a tight turn to get behind Giant to make some deliveries... yeah, good luck with that. He was stuck when I went up and he was still there when I came home. Bet he'll be there for a good while, too.

  • We're going to have snow piled up in parking lots for MONTHS.
  • It's going to be quite unsafe for anyone who walks to school or a bus stop when it's time to go back to school on Monday.
  • Intersections, though they may be plowed, are quite dangerous because of all the snow piled up.

That's all for now. I'm tired of talking about this. Nothing will change...

7:19pm: HOLY CRAP!! A plow just went down the street and back up. And now he's coming down the street again! WOO HOO! Of course, this means I'll need to go out and shovel the plow wall from the end of the driveway before Hubby and Keeper Boy get home from hockey practice...

8:00pm: False alarm. Plow guy did two passes down the street and two back up and then disappeared into the night. Guess we're stuck with a single lane until all the white stuff melts. In June. Good news is he did such a half-assed job that there's no plow wall to go out and shovel.

No comments: