Monday, June 20, 2011

Busted!

Over the weekend, we confirmed our suspicion that Keeper Boy no longer believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. While it is a sad milestone for us, we were not surprised. We were shocked, actually, that he still appeared to believe... even two or three years ago.

When we asked him about it after seeing his response to the question "Do you believe in Santa Claus" on Facebook (and his response of "No"), he said he hasn't believed since he was about 10. But he was afraid if he told us he wouldn't get as many presents.

Fair enough.

Today he brought home some writing from his English class this year. I loved his essay about his memory of losing a tooth. I wasn't prepared for the end, and I thought it was great. Enjoy!

One time when I was younger, my tooth fell out while I was eating pudding with gummy worms. I had gotten my bowl of chocolate pudding, added my multi-colored gummi worms. I had sat down at the table with my bowl and waited for the speaker to stop talking. She concluded her speech and told everyone to dig in. I got a spoonful of pudding. Then I got distracted and put down my spoon. I showed my friend my tooth that was dangling by a thread. He said I should yank it out. "No way!" I exclaimed. Then I went back and sat at my table. I scooped some worms in the pudding. I shoved it in my mouth and bit. Pain shot through my mouth for a second. Then I felt something small drop onto my tongue. I reached into the depths of my big mouth. I took hold of the unidentified object and pulled it out. Cradled in my fingers was my tooth!

Later on, I put it under my pillow later in the day and left it there until morning. I ate my dinner very slowly. That took FOREVER! Then I got ready to go to bed. I layed [sic] down and fell asleep immediately.

Later on the next day, after finding my dollar, I went to the pool. I took my wallet with me to buy a snack. It had to be something small because I knew I had a 1 dollar bill in there and that was it. At break I went to the snack bar. I opened my wallet to find no dollar left in there. I knew where it was. It was under my pillow. I don't trust my "Santas" or "Tooth Fairys" anymore.

No comments: