Sunday, June 3, 2012

What I'm reading...

I've read several books since I last posted under this category...
  • The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) 
  • Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)  
  • Mocking Jay (Suzanne Collins)  
  • Open Ice (Jack Falla)  
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee)  
  • Uglies (Scott Westerfeld)  
  • Pretties (Scott Westerfeld)  
  • Specials (Scott Westerfeld) 
All but Open Ice have something in common... I read them because of Keeper Boy. I started the Hunger Games trilogy when the movie The Hunger Games came out in theaters. I knew Keeper Boy wanted to see it, but I wanted to read the book first. So I did. In like two days. Immediately followed by the second and third book of the trilogy. I think I read the whole thing in less than a week. Granted, it's written as young adult fiction, thus it's a quick read anyway, but still. I couldn't put it down! I finished that trilogy just before we took our spring break trip as I didn't want to take a physical book with me. (We were packing light.)

I downloaded Open Ice to my Kindle and read that while we were gone. It's a collection of essays about ice hockey. Some were funny; some were poignant; some were informational. All were good.

About a month ago, Keeper Boy's English class started reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. He finished the book long before he needed to have it done for class. In fact, the last chapters of the book aren't due to be read until this week! But once he was done and had finished the assignments for the book, I decided to read it. As an English major, I've long been somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I've never read Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. So I did. And it really was as good as everyone says it is. It's one I'll definitely go back and re-read again some day.

Once that was done, I was looking for a new book to read. I'm Still trying to get through Pride and Prejudice. It's been on my Kindle for MONTHS and I'm only 28% through the book. I just cannot get into it. At. All. I will finish it some day. I always finish books. But geez.

Late last week, I decided to peruse the "cloud" to see what books Keeper Boy has previously purchased and read that I could download to my Kindle. He has this thing for dystopian society literature, which I always said I didn't like. But I loved The Hunger Games, so I decided to take a chance on another trilogy he had read. And I found another trilogy that I couldn't put down. Over the weekend I read Scott Westerfeld's Uglies trilogy. The first book was definitely the strongest of the three, but I enjoyed them all. And I was thrilled to find out that he actually wrote a fourth book that takes place a few years after the third one ended. I will be downloading that very soon. Maybe even tonight!

He's got six or seven more books in "the cloud" that I didn't think I had any interest in... but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I should give them a try!

No comments: