Sunday, October 18, 2009

It had to happen sometime...

So last night Keeper Boy had a game. He was in net. Against his team from last year (the first of four during the season). With his good friend K in net for the other team.

Keeper Boy didn't seem to be nervous at all. He didn't really want to play against K; he'd have rather played against the other goalie on the team. The one who displaced him from that team. But that's not the way it worked out. What are ya gonna do?

While the 6-2 losing score wouldn't necessarily indicate it, Keeper Boy had a spectacular game. I wasn't sure how he'd do, but after he made a great save on the first shot he faced (the first of 42... yes, that's FORTY-TWO... as opposed to our team's 8), I knew he was fine. He was ON.

He made lots of great saves and the general concensus was that the score would've been a lot worse had Keeper Boy not kept the team in the game. Usually when other parents say that to me, I smile, but don't necessarily agree. But last night, I did. He really did have a great game. I was very proud of him.

So after the game, what did we do? We brought K (the opposing goalie) home with us for a sleepover and to hang out today. I don't think they stopped talking except when they were sleeping.

Sometimes friendship trumps rivalry. :-)

No comments: