Thursday, March 19, 2009

Success!

I have been vexed for over a week now by extremely large print on many web pages I visit. I knew some setting had been triggered somewhere, but after checking all the ones I knew of, I couldn't find the offending one. So I just became increasingly annoyed as time went by.

It wasn't huge on EVERY website I visited. The ones that have their own style sheet and dictate every aspect of the "viewer experience" were fine... CNN.com, Facebook.com, nhl.washingtoncapitals.com, etc. It was others... the various blogs I read each day (including my own) being the ones that come to mind.

This morning I'd had enough. I flagged down an IT guy in the hall and told him my problem. He told me something to try. It worked. Thank God. I don't know how the setting got changed in the the first place. Maybe that tricky leprechaun from J-Mav's classroom visited my computer in advance of St. Patrick's Day?

------------------------------------------------
In case anyone is interested, the fix was so simple, I don't know I missed it. I was going for the more complicated settings. Doh! In Internet Explorer, go to the View menu, choose Text Size, and choose your desired size. Mine was set to Largest. This would be more appropriate for my mom, who actually LIKES her fonts to be large. For me, just annoying. Now it's set to Medium, which appears to be "normal."

Apparently, you can also hold down the CTRL key and use the scroll button on your mouse to increase/decrease the font size. I suspect that this is how it happened in the first place, though I obviously wouldn't have done it on purpose.

No comments: