Thursday, March 19, 2009

Survival...

Last night I played hockey. This morning I am sore.

Last week one of the dads from Keeper Boy's team sent an email around that basically said, "Hey! Let's get some ice time and have a parents vs. kids game to celebrate the end of the season." Everyone thought that was a great idea, and a time was chosen. Almost every kid had a parent playing. The goalies each had both parents playing. That's because goalie moms rock. ;-P (We were the only two "girls.") One kid's dad served as the kids' coach, but his older brother played as his "parent." I think there were two kids on the team who didn't have a dad participate, but the kids were still there.

I haven't played or had equipment on since the last clinic I took before J-Mav was born. I was a little apprehensive, as most of the dads play hockey themselves -- and some of them are REALLY good. But I knew there was also a couple who are beginning players, and one who would be on the ice for the first time in 20 years and had never played hockey. The other goalie mom had skated, but never played hockey. So I figured I could hold my own and not embarrass myself (too much). Plus, it was all for fun.

Keeper Boy was in net for the boys. Hubby scored on him toward the beginning of the game. I didn't. I tend not to get that far into the offensive zone. It makes me uncomfortable. I guess that means, were I actually to play, I'd be better off on defense! I did get a chance to shoot on Keeper Boy at the end, when we had a "shootout." Everyone on both sides took a shot on goal. Keeper Boy had little trouble stopping my not-so-blistering shot on net.

In net for the parents' team was the boys' coach. The boys didn't know Coach Mike was going to be the goalie they'd been shooting on. It was a well-kept secret during the week. They all thought that was hilarious when he came out on the ice and they figured out who it was. He was actually really good. I guess when you're as gifted a hockey player as he is, you can do anything. At one point during the third period, one of the other dads stood in net for a few minutes and Coach skated up in the play. Even in full goalie gear, he was one of the best skaters and puck handlers I've ever seen!

Anyway, we didn't have any set lines on the parents' bench. We just rotated through. When someone came off, the next person in line went on. The shifts were long; my breath was sometimes short. But I never fell, and I never took any kids out. I even made a few plays that were helpful. I said a word that rhymes with "hit" when I missed the puck on a pass or did something I didn't want to do (so a lot). I almost always followed that up with a "sorry" because inevitably there was a kid right by me when I said it. Mostly, I skated around and tried not to be a liability.

Afterward, we and some of the families we hang out with went to Fuddrucker's. I admit it. I had a burger. I was really hungry, and it was really good!

This morning, my back is a little sore and my lower shins feel a little bruised where the bottom of my shin guards overlapped the tongue of my skates. Other than that (and the cramp I got in my leg/foot in the middle of the night last night), I'm good. Of course, the day is yet young, and tomorrow is another day...

Would I do it again? Heck yeah. I had a blast! If adult league hockey wasn't played so freakin' late at night, I'd actually consider playing for real. But I can't see me leaving the house at 10pm to go play hockey. That's about the time I'm usually thinking about leaving the sofa to go bed!

No comments: