Saturday, November 19, 2011

Brag...

I've been meaning to post this... it's one of Keeper Boy's journal assignments from earlier in the year. They had to read The Telltale Heart in English class. Then for this particular journal assignment, the prompt was to "rewrite a section of The Telltale Heart in a different tone. You may change the point of view." They each had to pick a word from a basket that told them to tone to write from. Keeper Boy got "annoyed."

----------

(Told from point of view of madman)

True! - nervous - very, very dreadfully nervous. I had been and am; but, seriously, will you STOP saying that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses - not destroyed - not dulled them. I heard all things in the heaven and earth. And many things in Hell. So why is the question of whether I'm mad constantly rained down upon my head? Hearken and observe, just don't bug me as I healthily and calmly tell you the whole story.

Before I have to drone on with my story, I must ask, why must I tell this tale if I have told it about one thousand freaking times? Every time I recite the story, it pushes another one of my buttons. I am perturbed so much right now, that if I have to utter the words of the events that happened that night, I will erupt because of the agitation. So take your pick... I can either stop here, or push on with the story.

You pester me... but I guess I shall continue my story. The old man, he was kind and all. But his eye! It disturbed me so much. I was jarred every time it looked at me. Rage built within me. So I hatched a plan. I would finally free myself from the badgering of the eye!

I was never so nice to the old man than before I killed him. Seven days I cared for him. Seven nights I spyed on him. I had to be slow when opening the door of his room. That bugged me so much. I shined a beam of light from a lantern I was holding directly on the eye, but it was always closed. The eighth night, the eye was open. It irked me so much I let out an agitated cry and hurtled into the room.

That is all I will say. Don't ask questions, I am extremely ticked off. I am leaving.

----------

Teacher's note in journal: Excellent tone in this journal! It was perfect!

No comments: