Friday, November 11, 2011

I have questions...

From what I've read thus far, and one of the very first things I read was the full Grand Jury indictment, I absolutely agree that Joe Paterno needed to step down. It sucks that his long and storied career, his extremely successful career, will be remembered for this. But the fact remains that he knew. And he didn't do anything.

I think maybe the university should've let him retire instead of firing him though. He is clearly not the only one at fault in this debacle and by firing him in the dead of night, over the phone... well, that doesn't seem right.

What I don't get is why the current assistant coach who actually witnessed the act in the shower (McCreary, I think his name is) and reported it to Paterno is still on the coaching staff. How is what he did (or didn't do as the case may be) any different? He reported through his chain of command, but did nothing further.

Or anyone else who had knowledge of any of the reports (I believe there were multiple reports of incidents.) Why are any of those people still in their positions? Any one of them could have and should have contacted the police.

Why has Sandusky been allowed to be around kids for all of these years that the grand jury investigation has been going on?

Why is one of the victim's mothers doing all of this media now? Why didn't she say something back when this was happening. It's clear from her statements that she knew something was going on. My pessimistic side is disgusted at the possibility of the victims' families cashing in on this now. Not that they shouldn't be compensated in some way, but don't sell out like that.

Why are we not hearing anything about Sandusky -- the actual sicko -- who should be at the center of this story? Everything is about Joe Paterno. I think in the past two days, I've read two things about Sandusky... that he was spotted working out in a gym with his wife and that he is devastated about Paterno being fired.

It appears the university has botched this from the get-go. It seems that there were cover-ups on multiple levels... or maybe not outright cover-ups, but convenient omissions of information. Now the university appears to be in CYA (cover your ass) mode and is being very reactionary, but at an extremely slow pace. There's no way Penn State comes out of this looking good.

The football game tomorrow is going to be chaos. The team has done nothing wrong and deserves to be supported. Unfortunately, the entire program is now tainted. Bad draw for Nebraska to be the team that has to play THIS game.

As I've said before, I have no allegiance to Penn State. But I grew up in PA, so it's always been on the periphery of my life I guess. So I follow this with interest. And horror. And disbelief. As a mother of two young boys I can sit on my high horse and say that I can't believe someone could witness something of that nature and not go to the police. But there's an ever so small piece of me that gets the thinking that you don't want to get involved. Or you don't want to make a mistake and wrongly accuse someone of something so horrible that it will ruin lives. But then again, when you walk in on a man raping a 10-year-old boy in a shower in an empty athletic facility, there's not much room for mistaking the situation.

I guess if Joe Paterno was an asshole or a horrible, mean person his firing would be a lot easier to digest. But he's not. He's adored. He's like everyone's grandpa. And I guess THAT'S why the story is about him, even though it's really not. He's the most recognizable player in this story, so he's getting the most press. And that sucks. Because, as I said... he needed to go. But there's so many more heads that need to roll. And JoePa doesn't need to be the scapegoat.

No comments: