Thursday, January 15, 2009

Of little interest to anyone but me...

My "friends" total on Facebook is now well over 100 people. In general, I haven't been picky about friending people. If someone sends me a request and I know who that person is, I accept. If I stumble across someone I knew or know now, I sometimes send a friend request. But I don't want to be one of those people who is "friends" with every single person I've ever spoken a word to in my life.

I went through this morning and purged most of the friend connections who are current co-workers of mine. I just don't think they necessarily need to be linked to me on Facebook. I kept a few of them.

I would say that were it not for Facebook, I wouldn't be in touch with at least 2/3 of these people I am "friends" with. However, it's nice to check in on their pages, see their pictures, and see what they're up to. It's addicting, actually. This being the year of my 20th high school reunion fuels my curiosity, as well. But I rarely look at more than half the people I'm friends with. So maybe someday soon I'll do some more purging. We'll see.

For now, I scrolled through my friend list (after the small purge) this morning and broke it down out of curiosity.
  • People from high school: 60 [of those, 38 were in my graduating class of 174... combine that with the ones I haven't connected with yet, and more than 25% of my graduating class is on Facebook!]
  • People from college: 16
  • People from my first job out of college: 38
  • People from my second job out of college: 3
  • People from my third (current) job out of college: 5
  • People I am related to: 13
  • People I know through one of John's hockey teams: 6
  • People I know b/c they married, dated, or are dating friends/family: 6
  • People who don't fit into any of the above categories: 8

Nothing to be gleaned from these numbers. Just interesting. It's especially telling that I'm linked to so many people from the smallish Internet start-up I worked for when I graduated. Regardless of Facebook, I actually keep in touch with and see (some more than others) about 10 of those 38 people. Considering it's been 13 years since the company was sold and "the band broke up," that's kind of astonishing and speaks volumes about the kinds of people who worked there and the relationships that were forged.

OK. That's all.

No comments: