Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Frankenfoot

The Tuesday after my surgery, I was feeling good. Not a lot of pain, just some aches. I got a little cocky and told the doctor that I was doing great! He said that was great and scheduled an appointment for this past Thursday to get at least some of my stitches out.

By the next day, my foot was starting to hurt more again. Mostly in the first several steps I would take after getting up. And the bruising. It was an ever-moving collage of purples around my foot.

When I got to the doctor on Thursday, I was hopeful that I would get all the stitches out. He took out half of them. Better than nothing. But then he was pressing on various spots around my foot and around the incision, and when he pressed on one certain spot, it hurt so much, I thought Dr. G was going to have to peel me off the ceiling.

His reaction: "Hmmm. That's not great."

He said the incision looked good and he didn't SEE any sign of infection, but because of my reaction, he was going to put me on 10 days of antibiotics. He had me schedule another appointment for Tuesday (tomorrow... or, technically, later this morning at this point) to get the rest of the stitches out and sent me on my way.

Well, by the next night, my foot felt like it had been replaced by a new and improved frankenfoot! The initial steps pain was gone and I could walk pretty normally without the surgical shoe on. It remained fine through the weekend.

And today. Today I wore a sneaker! Correction. Today I wore a PAIR of sneakers! Granted, I took the lace out of the one on Frankenfoot. But I had a real shoe on my foot and I was able to walk normally and pain-free! That's A LOT of progress from where I was mid-week last week, so I'm thinking there must have been something to the infection theory.

So, tomorrow I get the rest of my stitches out. And I can then take a shower without wrapping my foot in plastic! Woo hoo!! Happy Thanksgiving to me!! I go back to see Dr. G NEXT Tuesday, just to make sure all is healing up well, I guess. I would assume at that point I'll be able to resume all normal activity as is comfortable.

I NEED to get back to walking and doing some stuff on the Wii Fit. If I don't, I'm going to be living in yoga pants and my skirts with elastic waists...

No comments: