Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Land yacht to the rescue!

Hubby had an appointment in Towson, MD today. That's over an hour away on a perfect weather/traffic day. I don't know how long it took him to get up there this morning, but I know it took him more than four frustrating hours to get back. He had the company car, so he had to go back to the office to get his car. He said there were cars abandoned and stuck everywhere. There was so much traffic on the road that the plows weren't really doing a great job. At one point, it took him over and hour to go less than a mile. When he finally got to his office, he said he was never so happy to see a bathroom. I think he was pretty close to using an empty water bottle! (I don't know that for sure, but I do know he had to go really bad!!)

Anyway, once he made it to the office, he said he was going to hang there for awhile and get some work done and let some people get off the roads before he attempted to come home.

After the kids and I ate dinner, I went out to shovel the driveway, and the half of the street the plow didn't touch (which always seems to be on OUR side of the street), and the plow mountain so Hubby could get the car in the driveway when he got home. When I was almost done, Keeper Boy came out and said Hubby was on the phone and his car was stuck in the parking lot at his office. I told him we'd be there soon.

I was kind of excited to take the Suburban out in snow for the first time. :) I tore the kids away from the Caps game on TV and put some water bottles and snacks in a bag. I didn't know what we were getting into out there. I've been seeing reports on Facebook all day of people being stuck on roads for hours because of all the traffic. I also took J-Mav's bucket, as he's thrown up twice today... once early this morning, and once at dinner. I even briefly contemplated taking the dog, but then I figured I was over-reacting. The boys wanted to stay home, but I said to them, "what happens if something happens and I get stuck while I'm gone? You want to be here by yourselves without us?" They went and get their shoes and coats pretty quickly. :) We set out a little after 9pm.

Other than dodging downed trees and low-hanging limbs, and going around a few abandoned cars, we had no issue getting to Hubby's office and saw very little traffic. All the wacky traffic must be on the major roads, which I avoided. We picked him up, turned around and came home. The truck was great, and now everyone is home safe and sound. It took less than an hour. Under normal conditions, it probably would've taken 25 minutes at that time of night. So... not bad.

The snow has slowed and is supposed to stop completely within an hour or two. Let's hope. School is already cancelled for tomorrow, so I suspect I will be working from my dining room office again tomorrow while I nervously await my parents' arrival. They are driving down here tomorrow at some point because they [hopefully] have a flight out of Dulles early Friday morning for their amazing trip to Australia (via Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, and New Zealand).

Stay warm!!

No comments: