Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hawaii - June 22

I kept a journal while we were in Hawaii. I thought I'd transcribe it here (and probably add editorial comments in along the way, as well).

-----------------------------------------------------------

It has not been an auspicious start to our vacation.

Last night we loaded the van and left to stop at Subway for dinner. It looked very ominous out and we remembered the van has a broken windshield wiper and no A/C. Went to Subway, then to Jiffy Lube for a new wiper. Closed. Back home. Transferred all bags to car. Flat tire. (Editorial: John had left work the previous day to find a flat tire and had just pumped it up and gotten home. It wasn't completely flat, but it had lost enough air that we didn't want to drive it to Baltimore.) So we loaded up the truck (which I had NOT wanted to leave in Baltimore for 2+ weeks) and off we went to the Holiday Inn Express, amid a thunder storm, so good call on not taking the van.

Boys were hyper, but went to sleep after John threatened them with bodily harm. I, on the other hand, watched the clock ALL night. 4:30am came early.

We got to the airport and discovered that Delta's curbside check-in computers were down, and the line to check our bags was really long. (I had already checked us in online, printed our boarding passes, and paid the check bag fees... it was just a matter of giving the luggage to someone.) After a stressful 90 minutes and a jog through the terminal, we are on board (they held the plane because there were so many of us who were late) and pulling away from the gate. I drew the straw to sit with the boys in the bank of three seats. I think Hubby, who is across the aisle from me, is already asleep. I hope to join him soon.

Man, I need caffeine...

(The sleep didn't really happen for me... on any of our flights going or coming back.)

No comments: