Thursday, November 20, 2008

Turkey Turkey

Today was the day parents across my kids' school district dread each year: the Thanksgiving luncheon. This year we had another first in our household -- TWO Thanksgiving luncheons! Happy, happy, joy, joy!!

When the invitations came out a few weeks ago, we were grateful to see that both boys' luncheons weren't at the same time (especially since they go to different elementary schools). They were, in fact, an hour apart. J-Mav's was at 12:30 and Keeper Boy's was at 1:30. As my job is a bit more flexible than Hubby's, the decision was made that we would both go to J-Mav's luncheon since it was his first, and I would fly solo for Keeper Boy's. We have both gone to Keeper Boy's every year since he started Kindergarten, and he's old enough now that he's just happy if one of us shows up. (I'm just happy that he still WANTS one of us to show up!)

Funny side note: When Keeper Boy asked if we were coming to the eat with him, he said, "Are you coming to the Thanksgiving Luncheon at my school this year?" The pronunciation on that was "lunch-ie-on" (like when you say you haven't seen someone in eons... that's how he pronounced the "eon" at the end of "luncheon." It was too funny!)

Hubby and I met at J-Mav's school and waited for him outside the cafeteria, along with A LOT of other Kindergarten parents. Pretty soon he paraded by with his class wearing a feather headband. I told him I liked his feather cap and he responded with, "It's a Native American headdress, Mama." Well, excuuuuuse me!

Hubby and I got our gourmet Thanksgiving luncheon (pressed turkey with gravy, a perfectly round scoop of stuffing, an equally round scoop of mashed potatoes, a spoonful of greenbeans that probably came out of a five-gallon can, and frozen pumpkin yogurt. Oh, and there was an optional vat of cranberry sauce by the cash register. Guess it's not a crowd favorite, so it's not automatically placed on the tray. J-Mav was waiting for us at the table when we finished going through the lunch line. He was assembling his oh-so-traditional Thanksgiving pizza (a Lunchable). We had a nice meal with J-Mav and one of his buddies and his family. I ate the turkey, stuffing, and frozen pumpkin yogurt. J-Mav ate my mashed potatoes. The trash can claimed my green beans. I hadn't bothered with the cranberry sauce. After lunch we took J-Mav to the book fair, got him a book, and delivered him back to his classroom. Hubby went back to work, and I departed for Thanksgiving luncheon #2.

Not as many parents show up once the kids are in the upper grades. I think I was one of four parents who showed up for kids in Keeper Boy's class. I went through the line and got another lunch... identical to the first... while Keeper Boy saved me a spot and started eating HIS Lunchable (ham, cheese, and crackers). I think I have the only kids on the planet who HATE buying lunch.

Anyway, this time I ate only the mashed potatoes and the frozen pumpkin yogurt. I know it sounds gross, but it's really good! After Keeper Boy finished his lunch, I also took him to his book fair and got him a book (sports related, of course). J-Mav's book: $3.99. Keeper Boy's book: $24.99. I guess it's true that bigger boys have bigger toys. :-)

I think the boys were both happy to have us attend their luncheons. It was fun to eat with them both. Two in one day might be a bit much though.

Anyone have a Tums?

No comments: